TOP
Breakfast Now Included With Your Stay!

Hotel Blog

October
24

Dr. Patten's Nowell Street House

posted by: The Royal Hotel Chilliwack on: October 24, 2018 11:25:24 AM
 
 

 
Address: 9254 Nowell Street
 
Original Owner: Dr. Lee Alfred Patten
 
Date of Construction: 1912
 
Original Architect: Unknown
 
Contractor: Ernest Hill
 
 
Chilliwack Progress, Oct. 23, 1912
 

Dr. Lee Alfred Patten (1880-1956) purchased this property at 9254 Nowell Street in 1912 and hired Ernest Hill, a local contractor to build his home. Mr. Hill utilized a new and unusual material, concrete blocks, which was less expensive and more fireproof than timber, to construct the Patten House. Dr. Patten’s house, according to the Chilliwack Progress, was the first solid concrete block house in the City of Chilliwack. The house served as both a family home and a place for his medical practice. The family occupied the upper floor and his medical office was housed on the main floor.


Chilliwack Progress, June 7, 1939

Dr. Patten died in his home on Nowell Street on September 17, 1956 and the obituary listed his survivors as his wife, two sons and a daughter.

The house has gone through several transformations over the years – as restaurants, The Gardenia House, Engumi’s and possibly others. The house was unoccupied for many years…..then was transformed into an Irish pub in 2008, known as the Duke of Dublin. Society Gathering House occupied the heritage building for several years; but the space will soon be re-opened as The Twisted Thistle.


Fire on the roof!
Chilliwack Progress, Dec. 31, 1941

Although the house has been altered and enlarged, Dr. Patten’s house retains the look and character of the original residence and is an excellent example of adaptive re-use in Chilliwack.



Dr. Patten's House (as Society Gathering House)
image credit: The Chilliwack Progress

 
1 Comment |       Permalink
The Royal Hotel Chilliwack October 30, 2018 2:05:59 PM
Thanks for your comments on Dr. Patten's House. It was difficult to determine how many different restaurants occupied this historic space over the years.
Please drag the indicated image into the “DROP ICON HERE” box
*required fields

Subscribe to our blog and be notified of new posts