TOP
Breakfast Now Included With Your Stay!

Hotel Blog

March
27

Chilliwack's Woolworth Store Repurposed

posted by: The Royal Hotel Chilliwack on: March 27, 2019 04:08:24 PM

The 11th Woolworth store in British Columbia (Store #1720) opened in Chilliwack in September 1928 and was located on Yale Road, about a block east of five corners on the south side of Yale Road.


Chilliwack Progress, April 26, 1928


Chilliwack Progress, Sept. 27, 1928


Woolworths held a fifteen year lease on the newly constructed retail space; occupying both floors of the concrete and brick two-storey “Davis and Munro Block”. The building contractors proudly used locally sourced material during construction – Coast Cement on Granville Island supplied the concrete while Dominion Bridge provided the reinforced steel and columns. The metal ceilings were made and installed by Pedlar People Ltd., a Vancouver based company located on Beach Avenue.


Seeking investors for the new Woolworth Building.
Chilliwack Progress, May 3, 1928
 
Needing more space, Woolworths moved into a larger building on Wellington Ave. in 1952. In the fall of 1969 Woolworths relocated again, this time into a brand new building located at the corner of Main Street and Princess Avenue, and held the claim to fame of being the largest Woolworth Store in B.C. when it opened.
 
Chilliwack’s first Woolworth building still stands on Yale Road and will be part of Algra Brother’s re-development project at historic Five Corners. More information on this below.
 
http://businessinchilliwack.com/2018/07/09/downtown-redevelopment-contract-awarded-to-algra-bros-developments/



Woolworth Store on Yale Road, east of Five Corners


Magic cards found recently during the Woolworth store demo.
(image credit: Algra Brothers)

We are very excited to see how Algra Brothers transform the former Woolworth store into new retail space.
0 Comments |       Permalink
Please drag the indicated image into the “DROP ICON HERE” box
*required fields

Subscribe to our blog and be notified of new posts