TOP
Breakfast Now Included With Your Stay!

Hotel Blog

October
31

Chilliwack's Vaudeville Theatre

posted by: The Royal Hotel Chilliwack on: October 31, 2018 01:19:13 PM
 
 
 
IMPERIAL THEATRE
 
 
Address:      46130 Yale Road
 
Original Owner: Unknown
 
Date of Construction: 1913
 
 
The Imperial Theatre building, Yale Road - tall building on the right (where Copps Shoes was)
 
On October 22, 1913 the two-story Imperial Theatre building celebrated its grand opening with tenor Harold Jarvis performing with Miss Mary Lyon, entertainer and pianist. Located on the south side of Yale Road near Five Corners, The Imperial provided a venue for vaudeville acts, or live variety shows like singing, dancing, comedy and live animal tricks with still photo plays shown to the captive audience as “added attractions” between acts.


Chilliwack Progress, Dec. 19, 1918
 
The theatre’s concrete construction was in response to the City’s new fire zone bylaw that covered new buildings and was established after a 1908 fire destroyed many downtown commercial buildings. The theatre was deemed “fireproof” and suffered very little damage during an August 1920 fire that destroyed many surrounding businesses.
 
As was typical with vaudeville theatres, the Imperial Theatre was used for meetings, community gatherings and conventions as well as a venue for live entertainment. Chilliwack suffragettes met in 1915 at the Imperial Theatre; in August 1916 the Imperial hosted a meeting in support of alcohol prohibition. During the First World War footage of the war effort as well as news reels kept Chilliwack’s residents informed of current events.


Chilliwack Progress, Feb. 4, 1915


Chilliwack Progress, Feb. 11, 1915
 
The Imperial Theatre was remodeled in March 1926 to accommodate motion picture viewing with improved and increased seating. The renovations however did not help the Imperial Theatre and the theatre ceased operations in May 1927. Copp’s Shoes then occupied the bottom floor of the Imperial Theatre building from 1928 until the 1970’s.


Chilliwack Progress, March 17, 1926

Currently a retail shop occupies the bottom floor and the upper floor has been repurposed into loft apartments. The historic Imperial Theatre building will be included in Algra Brothers’ revitalization project.
0 Comments |       Permalink
Please drag the indicated image into the “DROP ICON HERE” box
*required fields

Subscribe to our blog and be notified of new posts